Thursday 15 November 2012

Paprika chicken with lemon ricotta...


The main thing about this dish is the lemon ricotta.  
It will also go nicely with other meat and vegetable dishes.  I really like lemony savoury dishes; so you will have to decide how strong you want it to be.  I serve it in the shape of a quenelles made by using two teaspoons.

Put the zest and juice of two lemons into a pan and reduce right down to two tablespoons worth
(make sure you only use the zest, as the white pith will spoil the taste - a fine microplane grater or a zester is good).  Cool the liquid down and whisk into 125 ml/ half a cup ricotta.  It may not seem a lot, but think of it as a condiment.  Chill it down for an hour so the tastes can develop   You may only want to use one lemon the first time to gage how you like it!


The rest of this dish was skinless chicken breasts, lightly dampened and rolled in sweet paprika and left in the fridge to form a crust for about and hour.  On a low heat, melt a little butter and colour the chicken using a teaspoon to cover/baste the chicken (you can put into the oven to finish off).  Sliced lengthways.

Potatoes where boiled for 5 minutes, then put into a non-stick pan with just a few tablespoons of olive oil.  You need to keep them turning and on a lowish heat.  It takes about 35 minutes, they are not greasy but need watching!

The courgettes/zucchini were cut on a julienne grater and just baked in the oven for 5 minutes - so they are hot but crunchy (drizzle with olive oil and season to taste).



14 comments:

  1. This looks AMAZING! This is just the sort of food I love to eat. I adore lemon in savoury dishes, and lemon goes so well with chicken. I like the way you cooked the courgettes, they look beautiful.

    Glad you are feeling well enough to get back into the kitchen Ivan! Although, pottering in the kitchen is great mood medicine, I always find. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gillian,
      Thank you, I also eat with my eyes and enjoyed making it! I have been cooking so much this week to be busy, which as you say is good mood medicine! Have a wonderful weekend!
      Ivan x

      Delete
  2. That looks like a delicious meal. We eat a lot of fish, and I'm thinking the lemon ricotta would be nice with fish too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Terry,
      Thank you and yes, I hadn't thought of fish (not sure why!), I think you could spread some on top and add some breadcrumbs for crunch! Going to have to try that!! Have a happy weekend.
      Ivan

      Delete
  3. Ivan, this looks very good. I like the combinations here and also see like Terry that the lemon ricotta would be nice with salmon as well.

    Your presentation is 'spot on'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim,
      Thank you, I used to get told off for playing with my food as a child, now I get complements LOL! I totally agree, lemon ricotta and salmon will be really good together. Wishing you a blissful weekend, hope you get to do something nice.
      Ivan

      Delete
  4. This sounds great. The lemon ricotta sounds really yummy and very versatile. I love lemon anything! You sure know how to present a dish. they always look so perfect! Hope you're feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janet,
      Thank you, I am happy you liked it. Feeling better and happy, but a little bit sleepy! Thank you for asking hope you are healing good too! Hope you and your lovely family (including puppies!) have a wonderful weekend.
      Ivan

      Delete
  5. Lovely dish, Ivan. Warms my heart that our culinary tastes seem to be similar. Wishing you continued healing and a great and rejuvenating weekend with your family. Hope you were able to enjoy a visit with Laura as well. x Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda,
      Thank you, I am happy you liked this. I am mending and will know some more this week! I didn't get to go to Paris but hopefully soon (...or I shall make L visit me with cake!!)
      Ivan

      Delete
  6. I feel like Sophie when I put food in front of her...I'm salivating...I know that's OK. This is such a simple endeavour...must try it....I'm with you and lemon....LOVE!!!!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ron and Miss Sophie,
      It is a quick thing that changes a dish and you can even add sugar to change a pudding into a zinging feast...
      Ivan

      Delete
  7. I made part of this yesterday (not the potatoes or zucchini) and it turned out really well. I like anything lemon, and the ricotta with concentrated lemon juice and rind was an idea of genius! Dusting the chicken breasts with paprika added flavor and contributed to browning. This dish was both pretty and good. I try new recipes all the time and many are blah, but I am coming to have faith in yours.

    May your health continue to improve. Wishing you health and happiness and everything good.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carolyn,
      You have made my day thank you! I know I have the thoughts but have to get them across clearly - work in progress and am trying so hard to measure everything. I love sharing and have forgotten ideas and lost scribbled notes over the years, this blog is helping me write bits down!! Thank you for reading and your kind wishes.
      Ivan

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...