Thursday 8 November 2012

Croque-Madame...

I hesitated to post a sandwich, but I so love eating this.  It really is about the ingredients which, for me and without coming over pedantic, is about finding your favourite combinations.  The "madame" bit is in fact the addition of an egg, which I like to be cooked in the bread, not just added on top! 


So to start, I love using the famous Poilâne bread (a real treat that we can get in Normandy) - you can use your favourite bread.  The cheese is an aged (18 months) Comté grated and thick slices of Normandy ham from the butcher with thick cream from a local farm, again your favourite hard cheese and any good quality ham...


So, oven on at 200°c /400°f!  Place the bottom slice of bread on a baking sheet and once hot, put in to cook for two minutes; take the slice out and flip it over, spread "crème fraîche" (or heavy cream) thick as you choose and then, put on your grated cheese (a thin layer as there are two or three layers). ¨Place the ham on top and finally another layer of cheese (quantities are really as you like).  Put back in the oven for three more minutes while you make the top!  In a non-stick pan/skillet, put in a teaspoon of olive oil and cut a hole in the bread for the egg.  I have to make three small holes overlapping as my bread is long!  Put the bread in the pan/skillet, break the egg into the hole and cook for two minutes.  Place the 'egg' slice on top of the base (it will finish cooking in the oven) with a little more cheese if desired and cook for two more minutes (more if you want the yolk harder).  It seems a lot of work, but it goes quickly and it is so worth it!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, this has my mouth watering! I have always thought the Croque-Monsier and Croque-Madame have looked soooo good but I still have not made nor tried one. I am trying this this weekend. How wonderful it would be if I could get that Poilane bread here. Thanks for posting such a wonderful sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janet,
      Thank you, happy you are getting better, hope you enjoy it! Have a good weekend.
      Ivan

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you posted this sandwich!! I love food like this - quick and simple and tasty but it hits the spot every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gillian,
      Thank you, I am pleased you liked it. Have a happy weekend!
      Ivan

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...