Sunday 18 November 2012

Christmas Chutney!


For the last  few years, I have made a tiny batch of chutney just for the Christmas period.  For me, I really appreciate a large Christmas ham ready in the fridge and chutney always sets off that Christmas feast.  The chutney or pickle also has to be something new to me, without it being of the Letitia Cropley's extraction in "The vicar of Dibley"!  Previous years, I have used our blackberries with mace, balsamic and red onion ; another year was black cherries, dill, chilli and champagne vinegar.  It's all good fun!

For two jars you will need...
2  quinces
1 apple
6 shallots (or onions - 240 g or 8.5 oz) 
thumb of ginger (20 g or third of an oz)
225 g or 1 cup of fine sugar
118 ml or half cup of cider vinegar
240 ml  or 1 cup of water (with some on standby if too thick)
1 teaspoon of salt
small sprig of rosemary
1 teaspoon of crushed pink peppercorns

Into a saucepan, bring your water, vinegar and sugar to a boil while you peel and dice the quinces.  Put the quinces in the pan immediately so they do not oxidise. The quinces will take 35 minutes to cook down, so reduce the heat after five minutes of a good boiling heat.  Start slicing the shallots or onions very finely and add in once you are done (these need 20 minutes cooking minimum so if you are slow, do it before!!) .  Next, grate or slice the ginger - I like thin slices - place in the rosemary whole so you can remove it later. Finally, in the last 10 minutes, add the diced apple which needs less cooking as you want to see the chunks in the mix without forgetting to add the salt.  There should be some liquid but not too much (carry on cooking if need be - also testing if the quinces are soft.  Remove the rosemary making sure you use a teaspoon to get the precious juices around the stem).  Put into sterilised jars and keep in the fridge or a cool cupboard until Christmas.

ALTERNATIVELY:  If you can not fine quince you could use pear or apple but just cook for 15 minutes - also reduce the water by a third adding more if too thick.

Ginger and quinces...

14 comments:

  1. I love how you walk us through the instructions, Ivan, taking nothing for granted.

    We love chutney and this one sounds really good as we like fresh ginger as well. We usually have a turkey dish and I think this would go well with that.
    I will check the quince bush at my father's house to see if there is any fruit on it.

    Thanks for this monsieur!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim,
      Happy you like it and thanks, I try hard to not leave things out! We have the turkey also! Have a good day...
      Ivan

      Delete
  2. Mmm, I love chutney and this looks really good. Making Christmas chutney is one of my little rituals in the run up to the festive period. I often make a Nigella one with cranberries - it goes beautifully with most cheeses, but especially brie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gillian,
      Hope you are relaxing today after your 10km run! I have never tried a cranberry chutney, so I shall have make some (hard to get cranberries here except week before Christmas). I imagine it is wonderful with cheese.
      Ivan

      Delete
    2. The recipe calls for fresh or frozen cranberries but I think they are expensive so I always use dried, and they work just as well. With six birthdays in December we have a tight Christmas budget!

      Delete
    3. Hi,
      I have a massive bag of dried cranberries I brought back from Canada, so I am going to make some - brilliant idea thanks so much. I shall look at N recipe and see if I can add a 'sensible' twist and then I will name it after you!! Six is a lot of birthdays in December (we have a lot in February/March) but you are such a brilliant crafter I am only too sure home-made means more (does for me).
      Ivan

      Delete
  3. Yum! This sounds so good, and so does Gillian's chutney with cranberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Terry,
      Thanks and yes, I agree the cranberry chutney needs exploring... A my-take recipe to follow!!
      Hoping Boomer is on the mend.
      Ivan

      Delete
  4. Hi just found your lovely blog, I like the sound of your chutney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Thank you for dropping in, just been to your great blog, loving your cakes and sugar craft. Happy to have found you!
      Best wishes Ivan

      Delete
  5. Ah, I loooove the smell of ginger, but I never know how to cook. Greetings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      Thanks for stopping by. The best way is to grate a little fresh ginger into a sauce to test if you like it. It just needs to be heated through. Fish and ginger go really well together.
      Ivan :-)

      Delete
  6. Oh boy! this recipe sounds great! I love mango chutney with a little cream cheese spread on crackers. Will have to try this recipe at Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janet,
      Thank you, so happy you like it and would like to make it! I also love mango chutney with cheese!
      Ivan

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...