Thursday 29 November 2012

Green booster...


So, what is this! Well, it is not pesto but it's along those lines.  Its ingredients change every time I make it and it is seasonal.  As I am not eating salt at the moment, I need a real boost of taste - so this is where I am finding it!  This batch is to be cooked because of the garlic onion content.  It is made of flat leaf parsley and the stalk are included - which add  a lot of taste.  It is amazing in a home-made soup of a stock cube, water, rice flour and a big spoon of the booster.  It also goes into pasta, rice and pulses.  I will give my guidelines, but you can use things you prefer or have already in the cupboard - see below for combinations.  You will need a food processor and I use a small one so it processes easily -  if you only have a large one, you may need to make a bigger batch which you could freeze.  There is no cheese in this batch but it can easily be added.


(100 g or 3.5 oz) One big bunch of fresh parsley (flat leaf preferably)  or herbs of choice  (coriander, chives, basil...)
(100 g or 3.5 oz) Brazil nuts (cashew nuts, walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, peanuts ...  they all work just think of what it is principally going to go with )
(100 g or 3.5 oz) Shallots or onions (spring onions/scallions are good if using raw but use half the amount)
120 ml or half cup of olive oil
2 gloves of garlic
3 tablespoons of vinegar
3 teaspoons of crushed coriander seeds (or spices you like)
Options (cheeses, sun-dried tomatoes, chillies... )
season to taste

In a food processor, put in the parsley roughly pre-chopped and blitz first then, add the rest of the ingredients.  Once well mixed, put into a container and pour over a little more oil to keep it from drying out.


Added to split wheat, it makes a wonderful and quick dinner.  Simply add to one volume of split wheat and two volumes of water and cook for 12 minutes adding in a heaped spoon of the booster for the last few minutes.  The chicken breasts were also sautéed in some, with a dusting of chilli powder.

14 comments:

  1. It does look like pesto but I see it has a few 'added' things. Good staple to have around to give those boring foods a 'lift'! I could probably do this in a blender....that is what I use when I make pesto. Using parsley is a good idea too...it's own unique flavour.
    Oh the possibilities for this. Yes soups could use this too, at least mine could!! lol
    Thanks for this Ivan.....your great ideas just keep coming!!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim,
      Thank you, it really adds a plus to everything! I think parsley can be under used and it has very good health benefits - especially at this time of year to keep away those winter colds!!
      Making your dairy-free version of the cake tomorrow (will post it on the cake post and e-mail you it too).
      Ivan

      Delete
  2. Looks fabulous...reminds me of our garlic scape pesto. I was so busy tonight I ate a handful of pretzels. Would love a fabulous garden fresh meal! Hope your week has been a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      Yes, I have had a really good week as my parents came to visit - which always pleases me! I will have to make some 'garlic scape pesto' (just Googled it! looks really good!). I was thinking of you this week as a good friend's step daughter was just told she has Celiac disease. So I will post some recipes soon for everyone to be able to cook some gluten-free food.
      Ivan

      Delete
    2. I look forward to your GF recipes--I have celiac as well. Not fun, but once one gets the hang of it, it becomes easier to live with!

      Delete
    3. Hello Linda,
      Noted! I shall keep you in the loop! I was trying out something earlier... My mother has always had food allergies and I enjoy the challenge to cook things everyone wants to eat. There is nothing worse than not being able to eat much/anything at a gathering of family or friends.
      Ivan

      Delete
  3. That is a great idea! I will try this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Terry,
      Thank you, very happy you want to try this! It has been useful and was really good on a roasted chicken the other day too. I also put some under the skin, on the breast meat, which really kept it perfectly moist.
      Ivan

      Delete
  4. When I first saw the title--Green Booster--of this post, I thought, "Oh, dear, Ivan's gone over to the dark side." I thought it was going to be a recipe for one of tho blended green drinks with kale, spinach, apple, parsley, etc., that tastes like the clippings after mowing a lawn. I should have known better. Sorry. Think this would be great accompaniment to a grilled steak, braised short ribs and stirred into pasta. Harriet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Harriet,
      No, don't think I could be that healthy!! Yes, it would be wonderful with a steak as you say! I always am more hungry in the winter and am needing intense taste to be happy! It was even put on flat breads I made and put back in the oven to cook through,with a handful of cheese for the last minute (green pizza!);
      Ivan x

      Delete
  5. Oh, this recipe is definitely a keeper. It is right up my alley as I love pesto, so this will be a nice added change. I will surely be adding in some sun dried tomatoes and paremsan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janet,
      Happy you like it and it's good to add new things each time!
      Have a good weekend!
      Ivan

      Delete
  6. This looks fab - a different take on pesto and full of flavour, i bet. I love the idea of having a jar of it stashed away in the fridge to perk up suppers. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gillian,
      Thanks, it is exactly that and the thing is to use what you have at home already. I love basil but it is really expensive outside the summer months. I like the added interest of the spices and different nuts you could add (especially if you roast them first). It cheers up most dinners!!
      Ivan x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...