Tuesday 6 November 2012

Blackberry and yoghurt cake...

Finishing off the last of the blackberries picked from the hedgerow, this cake made a nice change. The fruits came through beautifully and it was quite light.  Although cake is not recommended for diets - this is not too bad if you use honey and olive oil, which adds a delicious back note to it.  There is a lot of fruit in this cake to compensate for using less sugar.  To be honest, this cake was a trial, but I shall certainly be making it again and I may try some different fruit next time.
250 ml/ 1 cup of yoghurt
100 g /half cup brown sugar
400 g / 3 cups of flour
125 ml / half cup of honey
125 ml/ half cup olive oil
3 eggs
one and a half teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
250 g / half lb blackberries (keeping a third back for the base).

*
Oil a 25 cm / 10 inch tin with a cut circle of baking paper in the base.

Mix into a bowl the flour, the yoghurt, sugar, honey and oil.  Add in the eggs one at a time. Mix well but not excessively.  Put the baking powder and vanilla.  Put in about two tablespoons of the blackberries and crush them into the mix for colour.  Fold in the rest of the fruit (except for a third).    Put into the base of the tin the last third of the blackberries and pour on the cake mixture. 

Bake for 30 - 35 minutes at 175°c / 350° f -   let rest for five minutes, but turn out warm and peel off the paper slowly.

18 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous. I think I will try it out for my mum when comes for supper on Sunday. She love blackberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chania,
      Thanks, I should have said that you could split it and add butter cream and/or ice it especially if you mum has been looking forwards to one of your cakes all week! Hope you enjoy it, I have frozen some blackberries hoping that it will come out the same at a later date.
      Ivan

      Delete
  2. That looks really good. You don't see many recipes for blackberry cake, they tend to be more for puddings. I could just eat a slice now with a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gillian,
      Thank you, we had so many blackberries in the garden that I had to see if it was good in a cake or not! I did stuff pancakes with them with thick cream (squeeze of lemon) very good too!
      Ivan

      Delete
  3. Ivan, you can stop any time now!! lol This one looks so good and blackberries just happen to be my fav!

    Now I have two cakes to bake.....this one and the gingerbread. I've had the pan out for a few days now to remind me!!

    Thanks for this recipe, monsieur!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim,
      Thanks... there are a lot more to come... so you had better get started!!
      Ivan;-)

      Delete
  4. It's cold and rainy here. Could use a slice with a cup of tea. Ivan, what other fruit do you suggest? Harriet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Harriet,
      I would FeDex a piece, but it all went! I am going to try it with blueberries and test if my frozen raspberries from the garden work... I shall keep you posted!
      Ivan

      Delete
  5. Yummmm, I'd like something like that cake for breakfast! Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      Thank you, what a good idea, it would work really well - next time!
      Ivan

      Delete
  6. I've baked similar cakes but I used kefir or sour cream in place of yogurt. I love the texture and the flavor added by these ingredients. I would think yogurt has the similar effect. Your cake looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Julia,
      Thank you for stopping by, just stopped by your blog - beautiful, I will go by later for sure!
      Ivan

      Delete
  7. Peeling off the paper reminds me so much of Mom making a hot milk cake....I can smell it now.
    Thanks for this recipe Ivan.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ron,
      Happy to take you back, I used to the same for my mum's cakes too! Just think you can do this very important part of the processes very shortly, when Jim bakes this... very shortly!!! (All the proof is above ha ha!)
      Ivan;-)

      Delete
  8. That looks delish! I think I will try this, although baking is always an adventure living at 6,680' elevation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Terry,
      Thanks, that's very high up, I imagine it is hard to bake that high up! (longer? less liquids?)
      Ivan

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...