Tuesday 26 November 2013

Rolled Veal


 In France and more so in Normandy, autumn is the season of "plats mitonnés" (slow cooked dishes) and veal is just perfect for that.  Although, this dish is not much to look at, it is so very tasty!   With it, serve a generous portion of potato or celery root mash and you will be in heaven!   Today, I roasted the meat on a bed of carrot julienne, which brought a very light sweet taste to the meat.

So here is my recipe :

500g/1 lb fillet of veal (or any lean cuts - works with other meats if you prefer)
1 cup of breadcrumbs mixed with some parsley (I whizzed up some day old bread in the blender, added in some parsley at the end and baked in the oven for 10-15 minutes. The texture is coarser and if you use good bread, it goes without saying it will taste more special!)
4 to 6 slices of smoked dried ham
3 shallots, diced
salt and pepper
240 ml/ 1 cup vegetable stock
vegetables to roast on (here I used three carrots)

Slice your meat into about 6 to 8 slices.
Hammer out the meet flat (see photo) with a meat hammer or a rolling pin (use clingfilm if using a rolling pin)


Sprinkle on some of the bread crumbs (keep 1/4 back for the topping), a little of the shallots and finally some of the diced up (or torn up) smoked ham. Roll firmly and secure with a toothpick if needed. Place the meat on the julienne of carrots, sprinkle on the bread crumbs and drizzle with olive oil. Pour in the vegetable stock (a splash of white wine would be also good!)  


Bake for 45 minutes at 170°c/ 325°f if you are using veal fillet 
(bake longer - 1 hour 15+,  if using a tougher cut of meat and if the rolls come out bigger.  You may wish to add some water if it dries out)
Take out of the oven and let stand 10 minutes to rest, cover with foil.

I will be catching on all your blogs over the next week.  Meanwhile, keep well and happy!


18 comments:

  1. I love the sound of this, it's looks delicious. One for my 'to do list' methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks deliciiiiiious!!! Also looks like a very healthy recipe. Hugs :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You have come back and with those great dishes, Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!

    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! A perfect, hearty dish to enjoy this holiday weekend here in the U.S. So happy you are back with us, Ivan.
    Take care,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love veal, Ivan ~~~ this is such a simple recipe ~~ I agree autumn is the time for slow cooking with the aromas radiating through the home.
    Thanks
    Ron
    Hi to Aston from Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks and smells (I have a great imagination lol) so good, Ivan!
    You do make it easy for us you know.....thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks so good, and love the combination of colors and textures. So glad you're back and cookin'!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy to see you back and ready for the Holidays:) Can't wait to try my hand at this veal dish sounds yummy. Somehow I did not get your "I'm back" post. And just found this one lurking in one of my other email accounts. I keep my eyes open for the next one. Glad your better and sending positive thoughts for you to stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ivan! Another delicious looking dish! Yum ~ and so doable! We were up in the mountains for Thanksgiving when you posted this, so I'm playing catchup. My SIL, niece, and I were slow cooking lots of Thanksgiving dishes ~ I'm the pie, bread, cheesecake, and cookie baker! It's so good to see you back! Every time I look at that cute picture of Aston (under the Bloglovin' button I laugh! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸✰¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ Christmas♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸✰¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪Merry ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸✰¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪Christmas ☆☆☆And¸¸✰¸¸ a ¸¸✰¸¸Happy ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸✰¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪New¸¸✰¸¸ Year

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm thinking of you and hoping that you have been sidetracked by a wonderful and happy Christmas season! Happy New Year to you and Mark and the adorable Aston!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Louise,
      Thank you, Ottawa for Christmas and London for New Years, then home to a house full, sadly finishing with 'in bed with (real) flu' for two weeks and a week more feeling lazy!! Hope you are both well

      Delete
  13. Hi Ivan,
    In spite of the spammer, hope you're doing well and enjoying the new year so far. I haven't tried the rolled veal, but am slowly working my way through a number of the recipes you've posted earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Emm,
      Thank you, had a bit of flu that is doing the rounds in these parts! Happy you are using the older recipes... new thing coming!

      Delete
    2. Hi Ivan ! Just dropped by to see if there was any news, to see if everything was okay. I was a little concerned because we have not heard from you in a while. But then I read the comment and replie to Emm January 22, that you've had the flu. Hope you are back on your feet? The days are long and dark, the weather is drab and cold and there is still a while to spring. I thought I might use time wise, to read and learn some new recipes. Yesterday I made Thai-fish cakes for the ery first time. I really liked them ! First time using lemon grass.

      I wish you a good winter, and take good care of yourself!


      Ps: Yesterday I also read the introduction to Laura Calder's French food at home, I noticed that she gave you an especially big thank you. Very nice to read :)

      Delete
  14. Just stopped by to wish you a happy Spring Ivan!

    The trees are not blossoming yet, however today I got to see the first little buds.
    That means, in a few weeks the garden will smell terrific.Looking very much forward to that.
    Hope everything is well in Normandy.

    Warm greeting ~ Aina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...