Friday 26 October 2012

Blackberry and almond crunch ice cream (without a machine)...

 So, continuing from yesterdays' post, I will break down the steps!  The base is a Swiss meringue (cooked over steam which makes it very stable, as in it will not collapse on you !)

The fruit bit
I used two full cups (half a litre's worth) of blackberries to which I added about 2 tablespoons of sugar (to taste).  Cook so it softens and you have a syrup (about six minutes) and press a little to break some of the fruits.  Cool this and put in the fridge.  You can use any berries or soft fruit - just make sure they are cut in small pieces. 

The crunch  bit
 110 g / half cup (fine if you can find it) sugar
50 g/ half cup (but push down a bit) ground almonds 
                                                                                                         2  (below)                     
<
 1
3


So photos here to help... into a small pan put in the sugar (1) and heat up on a medium heat, it won't colour for a minute -just wait, then start to move it around with a whisk but just around the edges.  Then it will  start to colour.  Keep a slow turning motion watching the sides until pale (2) (take off the heat if all going to quickly and just mix until you see it is even ).  Bringing it slowly to a mid amber colour (3).  Add in the almonds and stir for 20 seconds on the heat; pour onto the already waiting parchment paper (on an oven tray resting on a HEAT MAT: this stuff burns!). After it has cooled down, break up into pieces.

(Let the pan and whisk soak in water for 15 minutes, this will remove the sugar).

 The meringue bit
6 egg whites
225 g / 1 cup sugar
Whisk in a metal bowl over a pan of boiling water (with heat turned low);  beat for two minutes until the sugar has dissolved; keep whisking off the heat until doubled in size for another three minutes - it should be cool and firm.


The cream bit
360 ml / one and a half cups of  whipping cream
Whip until firm but not stiff, it should just hold.

Now, fold in the fruits in with the cream using a large metal spoon.  Then fold in the meringue softly.  Finally fold in the crunchy bits so evenly mixed.  If you intend to serve in slices put into a loaf tin lined with cling film (Saran wrap) or if you want to scoop it out, a plastic tub will be fine.

Good luck! 


15 comments:

  1. Your recipes are always so delicious and do-able. I love making icecream and will give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chania,
      Thank you, I hope you do give it ago, I don't rave about desserts normally but the Swiss meringue was a revelation, I see you can use it to cover cakes too!
      Have a good weekend!
      I am looking out the window and we have snow here - I am in shock... before Canada?
      Ivan

      Delete
  2. This sounds wonderful. I think I could actually do this if I did each step one by one. I am a big fan of dishes which can be made in advance, and this would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gillian,
      Thank you and YES YOU CAN... Just one thing at a time! I must add you could buy the caramel and I think (not tested yet) you could use a (your) home-made jam as the base, so I just cut two steps for you!!! I will test it and post results soon.
      Have a good weekend (down to London!)
      Ivan

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hello Terry,
      Thank you. I guarantee it is and I don't have a sweet tooth either!
      Ivan

      Delete
  4. Yikes! For some reason this one intimidates me, Ivan! Probably all the steps involved. But I am brave,LOL! And will give it a go since Ron LOVES ice-cream!!! Sh-h-h, don't tell him, OK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't hide anything from me, Jimbo!

      Delete
    2. Hi all!,
      It can be made easier if you leave out the crunch, just master the meringue bit and freeze that with cream and some vanilla essence to start... It is a big sense of achievement and fun too... As I said to Gillian above , I am working on a quick version so will be back with more tips....
      (you have to make it now as Ron has seen that you didn't say 'I can not make this' ha ha)
      Ivan

      Delete
  5. Hello Ivan ~
    I enjoyed learning about how you made the ice cream. But alas, just a bit ambitious for moi. It looks and sounds divine....just wanted to let you know. Perhaps one day I'll move to the head of the class.
    Cheers,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Loi,
      Thank you for stopping by. If you ever feel the need to make ice cream then you know where to come!
      Have a fun Sunday!
      Ivan

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the details of this ice cream....it makes the likelihood of JIM making it more possible...mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ron and Sophie,
      Ice cream is on the cards... You may have to stay in the kitchen and be cheerleaders. Aston got to taste a bit and approves...
      Ivan

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing directions. This does sound doable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janet,
      I am hoping it is! I am often told off for not explaining everything, but I think it is all covered!
      Ivan

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...