Sunday 23 September 2012

A whole chicken braised in white wine...


This is simple, but perfect!  The whole free range chicken is cooked in some white wine with salt and pepper for a few hours.  The cooking liquid is used to cook the bulgur wheat at the end as it only takes 12 minutes, using the clear and amazing chicken infused wine stock.  A simple side dish of a green salad, as in France, you can eat it just after. But you will need a good cast iron casserole dish with lid. (Dutch oven)

This is one of my favourite pans, small but ideal!
I cook a lot with it as it doesn't take up all of the oven.  I can get a whole large chicken in, you just have to  press down on the upside down chicken to snap the breast bone and flip over. A lager pan is fine but not too big as you want to infuse the flavours with a smaller amount of liquid, it will be more intense.
Firstly colour the chicken in the pan for a few minutes on each side for a little colour using a table spoon of olive oil.  I then bake the seasoned chicken with 350ml (one and a half cups) of white wine at 125°C/260°F - low and slow for 2 hours.  I use a white wine from Burgundy - use a  dry and light wine, but nothing sweet.  Don't keep opening the lid as you loose the steam which you want to keep inside.  At the end, just remove one and a half cups of the liquid with one cup of water and a cup of bulgur wheat, simmer for 6 minutes and put a lid on and rest for 6 minutes more.  While the bulgur is resting, cut the chicken with a knife and fork as it is hot.  Serve the bulgur in a bowl with the chicken on top, cut up in pieces or whole breast or leg.  Pour over the juices, which is like a soup deliberately unthickened for a taste of simplicity; these three elements just go so well together.  If you are thinking herbs and spices - you could, but try it like this first!  A light stew to start the season off!!


6 comments:

  1. This sounds divine. I really want to try this one. I haven't cooked a whole chicken for ages. I never buy bulgar wheat - no idea why, as I love it - you've inspired me to try cooking it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gillian,
      Thank you, don't forget to keep the bones for a stock or soup! I agree bulgur wheat is very under used and tastes so good. Hope you enjoy it!
      Ivan

      Delete
  2. I agree! What a great way to begin the fall/autumn season. I'm with Gillian on this, will have to give this a go! So, a dry white wine......would it make much of a difference in the taste if I skinned the chicken first? Or would that take away most of the flavour? My hubby has difficulty digesting certain 'fats'. Thanks.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim,
      Thank you, the wine I used was a Aligoté from Burgundy but anything 'light' in taste will work well. As for skinning the chicken, yes, as long as it is kept on the bone. A little less flavour but it will be good and healthier too! Two things don't brown the chicken, put it straight into the oven with the wine and if you added a few shallots or a clove of garlic to make up for the skin it would be good, hope Mr.Ron enjoys it!
      Ivan

      Delete
  3. Hi there...Jim told me about your blog and I'm so happy you joined mine. Sophie's point of view sometimes is childlike but hey don't we all have a bit child still in us. Jim told me about this easy stew and I trust he's going to try it.
    Welcome aboard Ivan
    Sophie's other Dad-Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sophie (and Ron!)
      Thank you for joining us, I will do a dog treat recipe soon for you and Aston the Pug can test them for you! In a crowded room, I am the one on the floor talking to the dog!
      Ivan

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...