Thursday 20 December 2012

Apéritif circle!!


This is about using one sheet of rolled out puff pastry for quickness - that said you may need to do more if there is a crowd as they go quick.  There is also a 'pork stick' (with sage, shallots and apple - rolled in oats); these I made while waiting for the pastry to cook! (This is for tomorrow, so I have only put a few together as a taste test!! - the pastry (cooled) keeps fine in an air tight container).


Just cut into desired shapes and size (I usually make them bigger for friends, smaller for business). I like to use a different shape for each filling.  For the long sticks, I egg washed (a yolk with 2 tablespoons of milk) and dusted with parmesan and smoked paprika.  You can also egg wash the pastry shapes and sprinkle the top with seeds.  Once you cut out your shapes, put them on a baking sheet and into the freezer for ten minutes to chill down.  Place the baking sheet into the heated oven for about 15 -20 minutes, but follow the directions on the pack as some pastries are rolled thinner than others. Oven about 190°c/ 375°f . If rolling out by yourself, it will cook longer and they will rise more. 

Tip : a cake tin with boiling water in on the bottom shelf as you bake as the steam will help the rise.

Cool, split in half with a knife and fill....

I piped in soft goats cheese with pink pepper corns; the other with horseradish cream with ham.  Alternatively smoked salmon, seafood, diced cold meats, soft cheeses with herbs, garlic snails (serve these hot), blue cheese and walnuts, pesto, anchovies.... the list is endless!!!
 Just don't fill too early and stay away from wet things like cucumber, etc.....

* * * 

Pork sticks with apple, shallots and sage, rolled in oats with a mustard cream dipping sauce.
(CELIAC version, not using the oats but a gluten free organic rice crumbs)

450 g / 1 lb pork tenderloin (or a lean cut)
170 g / 6 oz smoked bacon
2 chopped shallots (or 1 small oinion)
half an apple - grated
1 egg (+1 for the coating)
ground oats for coating (or rice crumbs)
tablespoon of sage (or herb of choice)
salt and pepper
*
Sauce - 2 tablespoons of grainy mustard to six of cream or yoghurt.
*
Grind the meat (in a processor - as it is lean - or a grinder; just cut it up before, especially the bacon so you don't over work the meat in the machine, add the egg and shallots halfway).  Form into sausage shapes or balls and dip into some rice or normal flour then into the egg mixed, then into the rice crumbs or ground oats (the fine ground oats can be bought if not, (before you whiz up the meat) whiz up the oats to make a crumb) - see below photo.

 Alternatively, they can just be cooked without a coating and are still good.
*
Fry or bake them for about 20-25 minutes in a little olive oil on a low to medium heat; they should take on a nice golden colour - turn them a few times.
They are nice cold or just warmed, serve with the sauce on the side or on a cocktail stick if you prefer.

32 comments:

  1. I have been playing catch up again as I am behind (as usual). This post couldn't come at a better time! I have been trying to find something new to make up for our Christmas Eve get together and this fits the bill! I have rolled out puff pastry in my freezer just waiting for a new idea. I also love the idea of the pork sticks. Can I just use store bought ground pork for these or do you think it would be too fatty? People must just love coming to your house! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      Thanks - yes, that's fine to use store bought pork (even sausages without their skins). They may need a bit more cooking so they are tender and just put them on kitchen paper to remove any fat. People like coming for just dinner but complain if staying a few days or more, as they put on weight LOL!!
      Ivan :)

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, I love your new header pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have given me a gluten free delicious sounding finger food! Thank you!
    And I also love your new header photo, I am ready to sit down at that table and have a meal with you!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kay,
      Thank you, dinner is at 19.30 (LOL) and very happy to help. I am working on new gluten free thing for the new year.
      Ivan

      Delete
  4. I have to take a plate of food to share into the office tomorrow so this has given me some great ideas. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      Thank you very much for joining. Really happy it was useful and in the nick of time! Hope you enjoy your party tomorrow.
      Best wishes Ivan

      Delete
  5. I see you've decorated the blog. It looks cute, like food. Greetings!;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      Thank you, yes new header picture - a bit late!
      Best wishes...
      Ivan :)

      Delete
  6. Ivan, you have a such a gift of giving us such wonderful culinary ideas at the perfect moment! I'm just now learning to make gluten free puff pastry (something I've missed dearly!) and I'll make these to 'show off' for the Christmas buffet. Such fun! Sending warm holiday wishes. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda,
      Thank you, you are too kind! Let me know how the gluten free puff pastry works out. I am sure you have missed puff pastry! I hope you enjoy it. Enjoy your preparations and cooking for Christmas.
      Sending you also warm holiday wishes - Ivan

      Delete
  7. Look wonderful, so many great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      Thank you , happy you liked it.
      best wishes Ivan

      Delete
  8. These look and sound delicious, Ivan! Another hit!! I can imagine your guests never want to leave at all.....
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim,
      Thank you - only when they are full and with the promise of a doggy bag... LOL!!!
      Hope you are all ready for Christmas.
      Best wishes Ivan

      Delete
    2. Actually we are....almost. Just have to pick up fresh veggies on the weekend.

      Delete
  9. Sophie would love those pork sticks, not to mention the Dads too. You again are making us hungry and I think I'll suggest Jim attempt this creation. He loves to cook and I love to sample. Sounds good right!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aston Says... "woof woof they tasted good!!" Well, it is nearly Christmas!
      :)

      Delete
  10. Ivan, your blog is seriously dangerous! All those yummy, delicious looking things to eat! Your little corner of the world sounds like a slice of heaven. I have often thought if I landed permanently in Nova Scotia again, I'd start an orchard with heritage apples. You must get so much pleasure from your gardens and trees, not to mention your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      Thank you, we count ourselves very lucky to live here and the orchard has been a delight to watch grow. The old one was destroyed in the storms in 1999. There will be more pictures next year!
      Ivan

      Delete
    2. I can't wait to see the photos! Happy Christmas!

      Delete
  11. It must be a real treat to be a guest at your table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Terry,
      Thank you - I hope so, not too many complaints (as yet!!)
      Ivan

      Delete
  12. Ivan,
    Being a great fan of café sample platter cuisine find me both excited and inspired by this latest post. Most intrigued by the pork sticks and correct me if I am wrong but they would also serve well as foundation menu item at a breakfast / brunch gathering. Thanks for sharing and sparking the imagination. – gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gary,
      Thank you, Brunch, yes ... I dream of brunches, love them but people don't have them much here (bit in Paris). I think they can be a wonderful things and yes, these would fit in there for sure!! Glad you liked the sparkle!
      Ivan

      Delete
  13. This all looks very tempting. I just love snacky/appetiser type food, I could eat it and eat it. Which is probably not a good thing, not for my waist line, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gillian,
      I am the same and planning the diet before I have started!!!
      Ivan

      Delete
  14. I use puff pastry a lot but I've never thought of doing this...they look so effective...just off to change the Christmas Eve supper menu now! :) Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Claire,
      Thank you, happy this was of use to you. Hope your Christmas planning is going well.
      Ivan

      Delete
  15. Ivan, your dining room photo is so inviting! I feel like you are an old friend and we are just sitting down for a holiday meal! I love, love, love the pork sticks, and you are an ANGEL to include a gluten-free alternative! We have been able to find gluten-free oats by Bob's Red Mill. I make granola with them, so I always have some on hand. Believe it or not, oats are only contaminated due to where they are grown!

    Thanks for your support, kind words, and for opening your home to us across the ocean.

    Peace in the New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello
      Thank you so much, really nice of you to say - have you tried the rice 'crumb'? I have had it before and it tastes really good - I wasn't sure if it was gluten free until I checked (bought it in a health food store in the UK). I will be doing more posts - tasty food for you all to eat and not separate meals. I wasn't sure about the oats but very happy you found some, as they can make a lot of things. I'll have you grinding your own seeds and pulses for flour in an electric coffee grinder soon!
      Best wishes and yes, Peace in the New year...
      Ivan

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...