Sunday 24 March 2013

Dark Chocolate Cake...

...With home-made black cherry jam.

185 g /  6 1/2 oz  dark chocolate (70%)
(PLUS 85 g / 3 oz  if you want to add the bands of chocolate or drizzle some over the top)
150 g / 2/3 cup of butter
170 g / 1 and 1/3 cups flour
140 g / 1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
80 g / 1/2 cup of chocolate chips

Filling : Jam of your choice  (black cherry or raspberry are both good) 

Melt the butter in a pan, remove from the heat and put in the cut up chocolate (185 g).  Stir in to make sure it has melted entirely.
Whisk the eggs and sugar until the mixture is pale and has doubled in size.
Pour the chocolate into the eggs and sugar mix. Add in the flour and baking powder by folding it in gently, taking care to not over mix the batter.
Pour into a buttered and baking parchment/paper lined spring form cake tin
 (about 15.25 cm by 7.6 cms  - 6 inch by 3 inches mine is American)
Bake for about 80 minutes at 160°c / 325°f testing with a cocktail stick that it is cooked. The times will differ if your cake tin is bigger.

Remove from the oven, (this cake is wonderful warm, but you can not decorate it that way!!) and leave to cool for a few hours.
 Once cooled, I carefully cut into three layers (two is fine also). Put the jam on both surfaces and put the layers back together. You can decorate by drizzling some melted chocolate on top with a spoon or a fork.
 I use some acetate strips cut to size (see below, good baking shops sell rolls of the acetate). Pour some melted chocolate on and smooth over with a palate knife.  Wrap the strip around the cake.  Start with the upper part of the cake first.  You can put it into the freezer for five minutes to set, remove the acetate and then proceed with the next strip. I painted some chocolate on the top and sprinkled some rock sugar on. You could make a lip at the top and fill it with fruit i.e. fresh raspberries.



21 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous! A special occasion cake.
    Love the pic of your pug on the sidebar. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terry,
      Thank you and yes... it may have been a birthday cake! Aston is such a wiggle, it's hard to get clear pictures of him - thanks.
      Ivan

      Delete
  2. this looks divine! I've always wondered how to get the sides so nice, even and smooth. I will have to check out the acetate. I'm learning all sorts of things here! I like the new header also, so very pretty. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me such a nice comment...we are ok. take care and be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joanne,
      Thank you, the acetate looks harder than it is - just keep on the acetate or the board gets messy. Also the chocolate must go up to one end, as the other will over lap. You can wrap things like cheese cakes with it also. Happy you like the new look!
      Ivan

      Delete
  3. I'm going to make this cake this week! But I don't know if it'll make it to the decorative stage--a warm cake out of the oven with a nice cup of coffee, yum!

    I loved your comment about your watch! I noticed that men cherished a family watch--and the memories with it, but most of the gals didn't have that association. I'll have to give this some thought.

    Many thanks for the oyster updates, but there's no real hurry as we don't leave until June 28th (first for Italy). I'm an oyster freak--from raw to however, oh YUM!--and thank you kindly for your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kittie,
      Pleased you liked this, warm is really good and just set in the middle is wonderful!
      You will love the wonderfully fresh oysters in Normandy I think! (I shall forward the info soon!)
      Ivan

      Delete
  4. Wow Ivan, you are a great chef! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      Thank you... I try to be just a good one! Hope you had a wonderful birthday!
      Ivan

      Delete
  5. Ivan,
    Now you a speaking to my “DARK” side (lol). This sounds amazing, can’t wait to give it a try. – gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gary,
      It's a dangerous cake... one slice is not enough! Stop dreaming of cake and get on with all your painting - LOL!!!! Have a good week!
      Ivan

      Delete
  6. I-V-A-N~~~~~what are you doing to me!!!!!

    The finished product is exquisite with the smoothness of the acetate strips of chocolate. I can imagine fresh raspberries huddled on top with some drizzled chocolate ~~~ this is the best chocolate cake I've ever seen. We tasted a cake here a couple of weeks ago and thought it was the best but you have won the Best Award for presentation and I highly suspect taste too.

    Now maybe Jim and I could attempt it.

    Aston is looking very cool with stuffie monkey(?) in his mouth up above. Yes, he looks like our neighbour Max ~~~ a going concern full of love.

    Thanks again for the recipe ~~~ chocolate is our weakness ~~ was this you birthday cake? Should have been if it wasn't!!!!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ron (and Sophie)
      Happy you like this one and yes, it was my birthday cake (this way I get to choose all I want in/on it!!) Hope you get to eat some... soon!!
      Aston's birthday monkey was a big hit (until it stops squeaking, then... in the box!)
      More chocolatey recipes coming soon!!
      Ivan

      Delete
  7. So that is how that is done!! Always wondered....
    Ivan, it would be difficult indeed to wait till this cake cooled before 'jumping in'!!
    Will have to dig out that spring-form pan.
    Thank you again, kind sir.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim,
      Happy you like this. Warm is really a good, I have made it with a warm chocolat sauce which went down really well one afternoon tea! Happy baking.
      Ivan

      Delete
  8. Could you send a slice my way please? Make it a big one :-) That cake is mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Paula,
      Pleased you like this, it was so good that, sadly it has all gone already... but next time!
      Ivan

      Delete
  9. Hi Ivan! Forget Kale ~ now you're talking! Chocolate is my favorite food group! I love your new soft blue look. Hope you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Louise,
      Yes, chocolate is another world... although I do like kale!! Thank you. I have had a green for apple blog since I started and have gone with the sea now!!
      Ivan

      Delete
  10. Ivan, Ivan, Ivan . . . OMG, it's like dying and going to heaven! What a tease this cake is! Thank you so much for the chocolate tip! I've got to try it! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry missed this one!!
      Thank you - it's a favourite and the chocolate band can be put on lots of things, even broken up to make a dramatic cake top of 'shards'...
      Ivan

      Delete
  11. Definitively on my list 'to do'! We are in dry dock (no ferry to reach mainland and shoppes) so if I have not the right ingredients I am going to cry!
    Glad I sutmbled on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...